15 Rules for Negotiating a Job Offer
In an excellent article in April 2014 addition of the Harvard Business Review Deepak Malhotra, professor of negotiations at Harvard Business School, offers advice for job candidates.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of likability
- Help prospective employers understand why you deserve what you’re requesting.
- Make it clear that they can get you.
- Understand the person across the table from you
- Understand his or her constraints.
- Be prepared for tough questions.
- Focus on the questioner’s intent, not the question
- Consider the whole deal.
- Negotiate multiple issues.
- Don’t negotiate just for the sake of negotiating (a pitfall for recent MBA graduates).
- Think through the timing of offers.
- Avoid, ignore, or downplay ultimatums.
- Remember that your interviewer isn’t out to get you.
- Stay at the table.
- Maintain a sense of perspective. Read the full article on HBR’s website