15 Rules for Negotiating a Job Offer
In an excellent article in April 2014 addition of the Harvard Business Review Deepak Malhotra, professor of negotiations at Harvard Business School, offers advice for job candidates.
[list icon=”circle” color=”blue”]
- Don’t underestimate the importance of likability
- Help prospective employers understand why you deserve what you’re requesting.
- Make it clear that they can get you.
- Understand the person across the table from you
- Understand his or her constraints.
- Be prepared for tough questions.
- Focus on the questioner’s intent, not the question
- Consider the whole deal.
- Negotiate multiple issues.
- Don’t negotiate just for the sake of negotiating (a pitfall for recent MBA graduates).
- Think through the timing of offers.
- Avoid, ignore, or downplay ultimatums.
- Remember that your interviewer isn’t out to get you.
- Stay at the table.
- Maintain a sense of perspective.
Read the full article on HBR’s website
Looking for a New Opportunity?
Begin your search with HCRM for freelance, temp-to-hire, and permanent creative and marketing opportunities today!
[button size=”large” align=”center” link=”https://hcrmcorp.com/job-listings/” color=”” bgColor=”#3cabce” textColor=”rgba(255,255,255,1)” hoverBgColor=”red” hoverTextColor=”rgba(255,255,255,1)” width=”150″]SEARCH JOBS[/button]
[button size=”large” align=”center” link=”mailto:email@example.com?Subject=Web Analytics Resume” target=”_top”” color=”” bgColor=”#3cabce” textColor=”rgba(255,255,255,1)” hoverBgColor=”red” hoverTextColor=”rgba(255,255,255,1)” width=”150″]SUBMIT RESUME[/button]